All professors must apply for an Enhanced DBS check before they can start teaching on behalf of the Arts Academy. The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) merged in 2013 into the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). You may know these checks as CRB checks; they are now called DBS checks.
Before you apply
You will need the following documents:
- A valid Passport
- A bank statement, no older than 3 months
- A utility bill (mobile phone bills don’t count), no older than 3 months
If any of these documents are proving to be difficult to obtain, please email Arts Academy and ask for an alternative route.
Send documents to the Arts Academy
Email copies of these documents to email@example.com before proceeding to step 3.
Apply through www.personnelchecks.co.uk
- Go to www.personnelchecks.co.uk
- Click on the orange button marked Organisations
- On the next screen, click the green button marked Buy my Enhanced DBS check
- On the next screen, check the amount and click Buy Enhanced DBS Check.
- On the next screen, check all information and click Proceed to Checkout.
- On the checkout screen, fill in your information and fill in Arts Academy under 'Company Name' and Music Teacher in 'Position in Company'.
- Check all information thoroughly and continue with the transaction.
Receiving the certificate
Once you receive your certificate, send a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Please make sure the certificate number and the entries are clearly legible.
Apply for the DBS Update Service
The final step is for you to subscribe to the DBS Update Service. You must do this within 19 days of receiving your certificate. Once subscribed to this service, you pay a small yearly charge (£13 at time of publishing) and your DBS check will be usable across multiple employers, there will no longer be a need to have multiple concurrent checks. With this Update Service, we will also not ask you to go through a secondary Enhanced DBS Check every three years.
To apply for the DBS Update Service, please visit www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service within 19 days of receiving your certificate..